Welcome to Newington Cemetery. This was originally named the Newington Necropolis, and until recently was also known as Echo Bank (Ekkie Bank). It was opened in 1846 by the Metropolitan Cemetery Association as a profit-making concern on farmland bought from the Dick family of Prestonfield, and designed by David Cousin (1809-1878), who also designed cemeteries in Warriston, Dean, Dalry, and Rosebank.
It is an example of the post-1830s garden cemeteries movement, and remains a peaceful 14 acre green haven in the midst of our urban area. In 1994, partly because of its overgrown and neglected state, the cemetery was compulsorily purchased by the Edinburgh City Council.
There are many interesting graves of local citizens. There is also a War Memorial, and 156 individual war graves (142 from the First World War, and 14 from the Second World War), maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The north-west part is set aside as a wild life area. To encourage biodiversity, the City Council’s staff limit the work they do there.
The Cemetery is now being restored through the joint efforts of the local community and the Council. You can find out more about our strategic objectives.