[FoNC] Tawny Owls in Cemetery

Carolyn Walker carolynwalker24 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:33:01 UTC 2020

This is mainly for Dave who I know hears the owls from his house.

William was at the cemetery at 05.50 this morning in the gloaming. As he walked between the Catacombs and the railway he heard Tawny owls in the trees then saw a pair of them flying to other trees on the north side of the Roundel where they will probably roost during the day.
Interestingly one of our bird books notes that an old name for the Tawny Owl is the Ivy Owl after its habit of roosting in ivy. So we don’t want all the ivy taken down!
Lots of other birds were singing and the woodpecker drumming.
Best Carolyn

Sent from my iPhone