[FoNC] Summer update

Ellen-Raissa ellenraissa at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 21:26:54 UTC 2020

Dear Friends

In these strange times, we need to cherish our green spaces more than ever. There has been a huge increase in local visitors and we are pleased that most people are enjoying the cemetery safely and sensibly. Although we cannot re-start our working parties until more households  are allowed to meet, the group's hard work is still being noticed - including the bulbs, bluebells and foxgloves we planted back in the autumn. We will need to redouble our efforts when we are back up and running, so please encourage friends and neighbours to go to the website and sign up to the working party!

Many people have commented on the removal of the bins. This was a surprise to us, but has been done by the council who have had to reduce all waste collections. Now more than ever, please take your rubbish (including dog waste bags) away with you.

On a more positive note, the lack of grass cutting has helped our insect life to flourish. The long grass is perfect for caterpillars and we have had many sightings of different butterflies and daytime moths as well as various species of solitary bees. There are some lovely photos on the front page of the website.

We have a new bird bath - towards the Cameron Toll end of the cemetery - and hope it will attract feathered visitors in the hot weather. The latest bird survey is up on our website and makes encouraging reading.

You might have noticed Spaghetti, the stone snake, who has taken up residence opposite the cemetery gates. The stones have been painted and placed by local families - feel free to add your own.

Finally, there is a summer scavenger hunt for families in the Nature Notes section of the website. Enjoy!

Many thanks to all our volunteers. Stay safe.