[FoNC] bats continued

rjmwilson at freeuk.com rjmwilson at freeuk.com
Wed Oct 28 21:14:52 UTC 2020

Ellen: Just for info.

With the help of Prof Ben Wilson (known for his work on dolphins at
Cromarty, Inverness) I have made two separate recording sessions looking
for bat activity in NC. Previously I had  negative results with a hand
held sensor. This new  attempt is more sophisticated with Audiomoth
recording devices attached to trees and programmed to record at set
intervals from dusk to dawn. Recordings were made on 20-21 Sept. and 7-8
October. Bats have now been recorded and so far two species identified.
Interestingly, at the back-gate area of NC only a few bats were recorded
passing through ie. entering and leaving the cemetery. Overnight
activity is at the other end near Cameron Toll. Judging from the echo
location frequencies, the two species, identified by an expert, are the
common pipistrelle and the soprano pipistrelle. Two other possible
species were too faint to identify.
One more trial is in progress before I go into hibernation. Will update
in due course.

Best. iain wilson.