[WGNC] Planting plans for the catacombs

Ellen-Raissa ellenraissa at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 9 10:52:06 UTC 2019

Hello everyone!

We are making some good progress at the catacombs at last and I thought it would be helpful to outline some plans.

The goal is to plant a tree at each end of the catacombs (by the steps), with bulbs at the bases and with a variety of ferns in front of the long wall. We will mark off the area in front of the catacomb with logs (taken from cemetery trees), and later, possibly some low shrubs.

The next step for planting is to divide and lift some ferns kindly donated by Morag and Robin from their garden and then transplant them to the cemetery. We would like to lift the ferns on Friday 18 October at 10.30am and then plant them at the working party on Monday 21 October. If you can come on the 18th it would be helpful if you could let me know (I will also send a reminder nearer the time).

Carolyn and I had a great meeting today with Ian Morrison, the council's tree officer, who has given us some good advice on trees and support to protect them. Carolyn is going to research his suggestions and where to buy them from and then we can all decide on which trees to plant. The aim is to plant at least one at the January working party, so that the council team can stake and protect them for us in early February.

I know its been a bit of slog clearing all the ivy, brambles and nettles from the catacombs (and we are not quite there yet!), but we've made a huge difference and it should be very satisfying to get some planting done soon. Thank you all so much for your hard work.

Next up, Doors Open Day...

Ellen