[WGNC] Another plague

stone dave djwstone at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun May 24 19:48:11 UTC 2020

Dear fellow-workers,

Following a warning last week on 'Good Morning Scotland' that an infestation of giant hogweed was likely this summer, I performed a quick review of the known hot-spots in the cemetery.

I removed or topped about a dozen plants of varying sizes, but more will undoubtedly appear, so it would be helpful if you are 'exercising' in the cemetery if you could 'stay alert' for new specimens. If you aren't equipped to deal with the plant there and then (remember gloves are essential), just drop me an email giving a rough location e. g. section letter, and I will head straight over.

There are a few mature plants on the railway embankment opposite the screen wall which will be a potential problem for us if they are allowed to seed, but no flowers are showing so far.

I hope you are all keeping well and looking forward to more freedom soon!

Dave